Sunday, March 26, 2017

Spring Blossom Report

No, not a report about blossoms but a report about some more work that got done during the time of the spring blossom.  Or, correctly, some rework.

Yesterday I went to a mini-event for writing and afterwards I stopped at a craft store that is closing which had an 80% off sale.  Bought lots of model related products, wood for crafting various models and lots of stuff for scenery and a few other odd items that I hope to be useful - especially some frames to create windmills.

Earlier in the day I pulled out the train project to work on.  When I got back home and took a look at the cores I'd created earlier, I decided to make a run to a local doll house store to see if I could find something with the right angling to it to use for the roofs on the stock cars.  And I did find something and, again, when I got home I took a look at how I'd use it.

And I realized it would be easier to rebuild the cores rather than trim the angled pieces I'd found, the pieces were sort of in the shape of a 'comma' but with sharp angles.

By gluing two of these pieces together I got the full double slanted angle that I wanted - but that meant a 1/4" wide dropping 'square' in the middle.

So, then I used some of the 1/4" bass wood I'd bought and ran it through the table saw to get the right height for two pieces, left and right sides, and then I cut a third piece a bit shorter to fit in between and adjust for the 'drop'.

Now, on top of the angled piece, I glued a very thin piece of obtuse angled wood that will substitute for the roof walk (maybe, might still add the roof walk by using the previously cut pieces with some under support to get it level on top of the now angled roof).

I then glued the three straight pieces into a 'sandwich' and then I glued that sandwich to the roof assembly.

I gave that plenty of time to dry and then I took the whole thing and used the table saw again to cut to length the seven cores I need to create my seven stock cars.

Today I will prime those cores flat black before, maybe not today, starting assembly of the previously cut pieces to represent the stock car slats.

And, maybe, I might trim the cores a little shorter since the above described process did make them a little taller - undecided, though, I might like having different height cars just to add some variety.

I did not take photos of the process yesterday but I may post up photos later of the raw pieces I used to create the core.  And I do hope to takes some process photos when I get to the actual assembly.  Depends on time and mood.

Good to make more progress, even if it was only reworking the cores.  And great to have such a solid supply of wood to use on so many other projects.

Speaking of other projects, I've realized I need to create some building cores for corner buildings which I might do with some more rework, reworking some of my already created building cores - or blanks as I call them.  That will be a challenge though.  Challenges can be fun - if some times accompanied by cerulean metaphors!

No comments:

Post a Comment