Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Seventh Cavalry

This past weekend I decided to move along preparing my 7th Cavalry regiment for the plains wars.

I have all the figures cleaned and prepped and all but two companies based prior to priming.  With a little luck, the last two companies get based tomorrow and this weekend the whole lot gets primed.

The regiment consists of all twelve companies plus a command group.  Each company is 12 figures mounted with 12 matching dismounts.  Then for each company there is a standing horse to mark a point of dismount.  Also have three dead horses and two dead men for each of those companies.  The command group consists of 6 figures mounted with 6 matching dismounts.  Again, there is standing horse but only two dead horses and two dead men - but a higher ratio than a company to allow the high command to 'survive' longer.

That adds up to 150 mounted men, 150 dismounted men, 26 dead men, 150 ridden horses, 13 standing horses, and 38 dead horses for a grand total of 527 pieces to complete the regiment.

Not prepped but awaiting their turn are the three groups of a dozen native scouts and four army supply wagons and a pack train of six mounted packers and twelve pack animals.  I also have two gatling guns on carriages pulled by two limbers.

All of that gives me what is needed, on the army side at least, to do Little Big Horn in grand style - with the option of using the gatling guns.

One thought I had was that my casualty figures won't work except for immediate post battle use - I 'd need bloated, mutilated, naked figures to recreate the historical situation when the companies that got wiped out were found later.  I think I can live without that.

For those wondering, I don't plan to use horse holders; with only twelve figures in a company that would only leave eight figures to 'fight'.  I'm sticking with the standing horse as a stylized representation and letting companies fight full strength.

Since those 150 troopers may face 384 (maybe more) mounted warriors and perhaps 288 warriors on foot, I think the above is a reasonable approach.

I do need to get back going on the trains - and finish the last six buffalo so I can start texturing the bases for my herd of 120 beasts.  Also need to work on my herd of pronghorn antelope and bunch of other wild animals for North America.  And the domestic beasts need my attention.

So much to paint, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment