Monday, May 18, 2020

Taking stock - of the stock

Taking stock of the stock?  Yes, this time as in 'livestock', what every good husband should do, at least in the realm of animal husbandry.  Below are meant to be denizens of farms and ranches and maybe a few homesteaders and the like.

I decided to make a decision on my cattle, how many of each would be what breed, that sort of thing. Already have the 96 longhorns with their six dead.  So, sorted it out that there will be 48 Hereford with 4 dead, 48 black baldies with 4 dead, 24 each of two dairy herds with 2 dead each (48 + 4) - which breeds to be decided - maybe Holstein and milking shorthorns (the latter being a bit more colorful), 48 highland hairy with 4 dead, and one group of 12 oxen with 1 dead (there is one more dead assigned to 12 aurochs for much older time frame games).  There are also 24 African cattle with 2 dead that I can add to my longhorn herd to bring it up to 120 head if I feel the need - the paint jobs will be similar.  All but the oxen are primed with a few painted though likely to get reworked.  Excluding the Aurochs and the African cattle, that is 300 head.  A respectable herd to me.

Equine flesh is not so numerous here (though remarkably plentiful within the overall Pony West collection).  Here there are 12 mules, 12 donkeys, 12 Clydesdales, 6 mustangs, and 24 other domestic equines.  The other horses are with mounted figures, as dismount point markers, or just saddled horses at hitching posts - and a fairly good supply of dead horses.  There is also a pony herd of 72 plus 24 ponies with their cloth 'saddles' and a cavalry remount remuda of 24 more horses.

For sheep, I have 102 plus six to convert to dead sheep.  Pigs number 78 plus 6 to convert to dead.  There are also 48 goats but none planned as dead.  For poultry, I have 48 geese and 132 total chickens (well, there are four more for the Mexican leader's foot stand - he of the appelation El Pollo Grande (The Big Chicken).

Not sure why there are Highland hairy cattle for my Old West (or Pony West as I'm calling it now) but I'm sure it must have something to do with a Scotsman.  Wasn't there a movie with the Duke friends with a Scottish rancher?  I'm pretty sure there was.

There are also, not fully counted, quite a few dogs and cats to be included.  Almost all of the above is primed and ready for painting with bases ready.  Just a matter, mostly, of splashing on some paint and then texturing the bases.

Why so many?  Well, temptation kept striking and I felt I needed this and then I discovered that and one thing led to another and, voila, I'm quite the rancher/farmer.  At least in 15 mm!

What do you mean, two posts in one day?  No law against that.


No comments:

Post a Comment